This is a low-calorie, gluten-free dish that’s hearty and tastes incredible.
Prep time= 10 mins
Cook time= 45 mins
Total time=less than an hour
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion & 2 stalks of celery (I used my previously chopped and frozen celery and onion mixture)
- half a green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cooked chicken breast (I used leftover meat from a rotisserie chicken.)
- 1 can of low-sodium black beans
- 1 Edward & Sons veggie cube (or a low-sodium bouillion cube)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 to 3 cups of water
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes w/chiles
- Seasonings: Oregano, cumin, Celtic salt, ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium lime
- 1 medium avocado
- Line a pot with a drizzle of olive oil and add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic. Let the vegetables soften and add the broth, a veggie cube, water, diced tomatoes, black beans, and seasonings.
- Let the soup simmer for twenty minutes and then add the cooked chicken meat.
- After ten minutes, do a taste test and add more seasoning or water if necessary. Then squeeze in the juice of one lime. (The lime juice really makes this dish.) Add a handful of chopped cilantro.
Serve each bowl with chunks of avocado and gluten-free, blue corn tortilla chips. I hope you like this. BTW, I made chicken broth from the carcass of the rotisserie chicken. Here’s how to do it Homemade Chicken Bone Broth.