Several months ago, I started using essential oils topically and in room diffusers. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and the winter weather brought on painful flare-ups that were unbearable. I also fell ill with the flu several times this winter.
I’ve already told you about using hemp products for arthritis. Check that post out here: Hemp Seed Oil for Arthritis and Muscle Pain. In this post, we’ll discuss what essential oil brands I buy, and where I get them. I buy 100% natural, steam distilled, or cold-pressured oils. Quality testing is important as well as sustainability which includes ensuring the harvesting of the herbs don’t hurt the environment and that fair trade regulations are followed.
Here are the reasons why I use essential oils:
- Arthritis and upper back pain relief
- Lower blood pressure
- Strengthen immune system
- Cold and flu season
- Create an aromatic and pleasing home environment
I’m still trying out new lines of essential oils, but I found several that I really like and that fit my budget.
My favorite brand is Eden’s Garden. I purchased about 70 percent of my oils from Eden’s Gardens. They have single oils and synergy oils. Synergy blends are oils that are already mixed for you such as Good Night which helps you sleep. There’s free domestic shipping and a 30-day guarantee. You can even create a sets for yourself or for gifts.
I only have a few bottles of the Veriditas brand. I pick them up at my local Fresh Thyme store, and they can be purchased online at the link above. I have Immunity Boost, peppermint, bergamot, and rosemary. You’d be surprised how aromatic and lovely bergamot and rosemary are, and they have amazing heath benefits.
Plant Therapy has a nice selection of quality essential oils. They also have an exceptional Kid Safe line.
Piping Rock has a Crazy Deal section of their website where you can get discounted oils and diffusers. I’ve been able to find some of the more expensive essential oils on Piping Rock on sale.
My list of Must-Have essentials oils is below:
- Lavender: Relaxation and helps most ailments (My favorite!)
- Tea tree: Anti-septic and anti-fungal
- Eucalyptus: Colds, muscle relief, breathing issues
- Lemon: Immunity and mood lifter
- Peppermint: Digestion, pain relief (I love peppermint, eucalyptus, and wintergreen.)
- Mandarin: Anti-inflammatory, antidepressant
- Lemongrass: Analgesic and relieves body aches. If you suffer from edema (swollen feet, ankles and legs), mix lemongrass, tea tree, and a carrier oil together and rub on the swollen areas. Drink lots of water and the swelling will decrease within a few hours.
- Rosemary: Hair, heart and brain function
- Bergamot: Sedative and blood circulation
- Frankincense: Digestion, anti-aging, immune system
Arnica: Muscle spasms, bruises, rheumatic pain, sports injuries. Arnica is a must-have if you have any form of arthritis. I use a few drops with the Eden’s Garden’s Evening Primrose carrier oil, and it stops the pain.
Warning: Essential oils are extremely strong and can be toxic. When applying them to the skin, always use a carrier such as the ones listed above. Tea tree oil is one of the few essential oils that doesn’t need a carrier oil.
Kids’ Warning: Children can be extremely sensitive to essential oils. Please make sure an essential oil is kid friendly before diffusing it or applying to a child’s skin.
I will be doing follow-up posts on essential oils such as which diffusers to choose and how to store the oils. If you use essential oils, let me know what your favorites are and why you use the oils.