Veggie Pasta Fagioli is a tasty soup that gets better with each day. It’s extremely easy and fast to make, and you’ll have delicious leftovers for days to come.
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups of short pasta/macaroni with grooves in it
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 can of great northern beans or 1 can of cannellini beans
- 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
- fresh baby spinach
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Half of an onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Allspice and turmeric (optional)
- Parsley and/or parmesan cheese on top
- Put a large pot over medium-high heat and add the oil, onion, and garlic. Fry for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add the zucchini and basil. Fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice and use your spoon to break them into smaller pieces.
- Add the beans and their liquid, spinach, vegetable stock, basil, salt, pepper, dried oregano, turmeric, and allspice. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain pasta and add the pasta to the soup. Serve immediately.
****Serves Four. If this won’t be eaten in one serving, don’t add the pasta to the soup. That way it won’t absorb all the juices. Store pasta and soup separately and mix together once it’s reheated to it.
Add a buttermilk biscuit to the meal or
or some shaved parmesan cheese. Delicious.
This is one of my favorite Meatless Monday meals. I hope you enjoy.